Home > Basic Policy on the Protection of Personal Information
The main text begins here.
Basic Policy on the Protection of Personal Information
Established on: April 1, 2014
Masaru Nishio, President, The Japan Agency for Local Authority Information Systems
Article 1 Basic Policy
The purposes of Japan Agency for Local Authority Information Systems (hereinafter referred to as J-LIS) is to conduct clerical work provided in the laws such as Resident Register System Law (Act No. 81 of 1967) and other rationalization of administrative affairs of local public bodies and to contribute to the promotion of the welfare of residents. In order to prevent unauthorized access and other negative events such as loss, destruction, alteration and leakage of personal information collected in all of its business operations performed to achieve these purposes, J-LIS sets out this policy as the standard of conduct to be complied with by directors and employees, ensures thorough compliance of the policy, constructs Personal Information Protection Management Systems in accordance with Q15001 (Personal Information Protection Management Systems – Requirements) of JIS (which is Japanese Industrial Standards under Paragraph 1, Article 17 of the Industrial Standardization Law (Act No. 185 of 1949)) and appropriately operates the System.
Article 2 Efforts of J-LIS
- Directors and employees of J-LIS shall comply with laws and regulations, guidelines established by the government and other related standards concerning the handling of personal information.
- J-LIS creates and maintains a structure of responsibility for implementation and operation of Personal Information Protection Management Systems.
- J-LIS provides its directors and employees with educational programs concerning personal information protection on a regular basis.
- J-LIS appoints a responsible officer for audit of personal information protection and conducts audits to check the state of its effort to protect personal information periodically.
- J-LIS continuously reviews Personal Information Protection Management Systems in an effort to improve the systems.
Article 3 Handling of personal information
- J-LIS clearly defines that collection and use of personal information shall be within the scope of its business operations and provision of personal information shall be also limited to pre-defined purposes and takes necessary measures for appropriate handling of personal information.
- J-LIS takes reasonable safety measures and preventive and corrective actions against unauthorized access and risks such as loss, destruction, alteration and leakage of personal information.
- In response to the request, complaint or consultation from the person concerning his/her personal information, J-LIS promptly takes appropriate actions such as disclosure, correction, deletion and termination of use of the personal information.
- When all or part of the handling of personal information is entrusted to J-LIS, it takes appropriate measures to protect personal information.
- When J-LIS entrusts all or part of the handling of personal information, J-LIS selects a company which takes sufficient personal information protection measures and takes appropriate measures.