The main text begins here.
About the envelope for sending the application form(s) for issuance of the Individual Number Card
○ For those who have an envelope, for sending the application form(s), which is past the valid period for sending
You can use it as it is without affixing a postal stamp.
○ For those who wish to have an additional envelope for sending the application form(s)
You can download the materials for making an envelope from here.
About the campaign to promote the acquisition of Individual Number Card ( Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications web site)
“About the campaign to promote the acquisition of Individual Number Card” has been posted on the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications home page.
For the contents, please refer to the following link.
Period until Individual Number Card issuance
It takes about one month※2from the application for Individual Number Card until the shipment of Notice of Issuance※1by municipalities.
- Notice of Issuance is a notification by which municipalities notifies that they are ready to issue Individual Number Card.
- Excluding cases with errors in the application, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
About Application and Issuance of Individual Number Cards
Apply using the enclosed application card.
Your Notice of Issuance (postcard) arrives by post.
Go to Issuance Office
After confirming your identity, you will be asked to set a PIN.
- An application is required to receive your Individual Number Card.
You can apply via the application form included with your Notification Card, online, or at a local ID photo booth*.
*Some ID photo booths do not support applications.
- To submit an application after relocation, please request a new application form from your local municipal office when submitting your address change documents, or download a form from here.
- After submitting your application, there is a 3-week processing period until your card is created.
After this, your card will be sent through the postal service to your local municipal office, which will handle any final issuance procedures and send you a notice of issuance by mail. Please wait until you receive this notice.
- If you move to a different municipality before receiving your notice of issuance, you must reapply. Please complete procedures for reapplication when you are registering your address at your new municipal office.
- After receiving your notice of issuance, you yourself should visit the service counter by the date described on the issuance notification with required things.
*Only if you are not able to visit the place to receive your card due to your sickness, physical disability, or other unavoidable reasons, your representative can receive your card.
Individual Number Card has a lot of advantages.
*Because the services are different depending on municipality, please contact your municipality for more details.