Home > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The main text begins here.
- About Notification Cards
- About Individual Number Cards
- About Application and Issuance of Individual Number Cards
- About loss and found
About Notification Cards
Q1Who issues notification cards?
The mayor of a municipality that has the person’s resident record.
In addition, the Japan Agency for Local Authority Information Systems (J-LIS) will issue notification cards with the authority from mayors throughout Japan.
*The Japan Agency for Local Authority Information Systems (J-LIS) is an organization jointly operated by municipalities.
Q2Will notification cards have a period of validity?
Notification cards will not have a period of validity.
Please keep the notification card safe because it notifies you of your own Individual Number (My Number).
In addition, if you receive your Individual Number Card, you must return the notification card upon receiving your Individual Number Card.
Q3What should I do if the information printed on the notification card or similar documents contains an error?
Please contact your local municipality and request that another notification card be issued with the corrected information.
Q4I live overseas. Will a notification card be sent to me?
The Individual Number (My Number) will not be notified to a person who does not have a resident record within Japan such as a person stays overseas.
If you move in Japan and your resident record is prepared, a notification card will be sent.
Q5Although I have a foreign nationality, will a notification card be sent to me?
If a person with a foreign nationality has his/her resident record, a notification card will be sent to him/her.
Q6Is it necessary to apply for an Individual Number(My Number) for a newborn child?
You do not need to make the application because Individual Number (My Number) for the child is provided when his/her birth is reported and he/she is registered in the resident record.
Q7Will the Number be changed when I transfer my resident record?
Unless the number is leaked and there is a risk of illegal use, the Number will never be changed because the same Number will continue to be used throughout the bearer’s lifetime.
Q8Can my notification card be used as identification?
Notification cards can be used for confirming Individual Numbers, but they cannot be used as a form of identification.
Q9Is reissuance of the notification card acceptable?
If it is acceptable, where and how do I request for it?
Reissuance is possible.
However,an issuance fee will ,as a principle, be charged for reissuances resulting from causes such as loss of card.
Please take the necessary steps to apply for reissuance at the nearest municipality.
Q10If I cannot change my address for some reasons (in cases where the resident record is not able to be transferred for unavoidable reasons including stalking and domestic violence), how do I receive my notification card?
For those who, due to inevitable circumstances, are unable to collect their notification cards or the notice of issuance for their Individual Number Cards at the address stated in their residence records, may do so at their registered domicile by registering their domicile at the municipality stated in their residence records. Please consult the municipality of their residence records for information regarding domicile registration.
About Individual Number Cards
Q11What do I have to do when any of the matters described on my Individual Number Card is changed?
When any of the matters described on your card is changed due to a move, etc., you have to request your municipality to change the description on your notification card or Individual Number Card.
* When any of the matters described on your notification card or Individual Number Card is changed, you have to report it to your municipality and request to change the description on your card within 14 days.
Q12Do Individual Number Cards have a period of validity?
What is the renewal process?
The validity periods of Individual Number Cards are as follows.
＜The validity periods of Individual Number Cards＞
- The validity period will be printed on the card.(valid up to year month day)
- ・Until the owner’s 5th birthday following card issuance, for those below the age of 20.
- ・Until the owner’s 10th birthday following card issuance, for those above the age of 20.
- ※ If the owner is above the age of 20 at the time the card is issued, validity shall last until his or her 10th birthday following card issuance.
＜Validity period of electronic certificates＞
- Not printed on the validity section on the electronic certificate card.
- Please ask the relevant department at your local municipal office to fill it in or get it done yourself upon confirming the validity period.
- ・Until the owner’s 5th birthday following card issuance, regardless of age.
Please apply for renewal at your local municipal office to continue to use your Individual Number Card after expiration.
Information regarding renewal process and fees can be obtained through your local muncipal office.
Q13Where can I find a list of IC card readers that are compatible with Individual Number Cards?
The information about IC card reader/writer that is compatible with Individual Number Cards and used for e-Tax and so on is available at the portal site of "public personal identification service".
Q14My employer is requesting for me to submit my Individual Number for Tax Return and Social Insurance processing. Am I obligated to submit this information?
Please contact our Call Center for the Social Security and Tax Number System (Press 3 Voice Guidance) regarding the handling of Individual Numbers.
Contact our Call Center for the Social Security and Tax Number System (Press 3 Voice Guidance) here.
Q15Can I obtain documents such as the certificate of residence at convenience stores using my Individual Number Card?
If the municipality of your residence provides Convenience Store Issuance services, you can obtain documents such as the certificate of residence at convenience stores.
You can chek which municipality provides this service at the Convenience Store Issuance service page.
About Application and Issuance of Individual Number Cards
Q16Am I required to apply for an Individual Number Card?
While application for an Individual Number Card is not mandatory, we would like as many people to apply as possible as it serves as verification of Individual numbers as well as personal identification in certain administrative proceedings and also as allows users to enjoy Convenience Store Issuance services using electronic certificates, thereby enhancing the convenience of our residents.
Q17What is the deadline to apply for an Individual Number Card?
There is no deadline for applying for an Individual Number Card.
Q18How can I apply for an Individual Number Card?
After the notification card and application form for issuance of the Individual Number Card are mailed by recorded delivery to the address on your resident record, make the application by mail or through on-line application on a computer or smartphone, etc.
For further details relating to the application methods, please check the Application for issuance of the Individual Number Card page.
Q19The name and address on the re-issued notification card are hidden with astrerisks, can I use this application form to apply?
You cannot use a re-issued notification on which the name and address are hidden with astrerisks to apply.
If you wish to make an application, please use a new application form issued by your local municipal office or the Handwritten application form for issuance [English] or [Japanese].
Q20What should I do in the event that I lose my application form for issuance?
Please use a new application form issued by your local municipal office or the Handwritten application form for issuance.
Q21Can online applications be submitted via any PC or smart phone?
We recommend the following operating environment for comfortable browsing of this website. When using browsers other than recommended ones or even when using the recommended browsers, depending on the user’s browser settings, the website may not be functional or display correctly. Also when you have installed certain software, sometimes the website may not function well. Please understand.
Windows 10（Microsoft Edge / Internet Explorer 11）
macOS 10.14（Safari 12.0）
Android 8.0（Chrome 72）
Android 9.0（Chrome 72）
iOS 12.1（Safari 12.0）
■About Usage of Cookies
In order to be able to use all functions of this website, please allow cookies in the settings of your browser.
■About Mailer Apps
If there is an error in the contents of your application, an electronic signature will be attached in the e-mail sent to you. For this reason, please use a mailer application capable of handling S/MIME (e-mail holding a digital signature). Digital signatures may not be recognized, and text may not be displayed correctly if you use a mailer unable to handle S/MIME.
Please make an inquiry to the company of your mailer to confirm whether or not your mailer can handle S/MIME.
Please make your application on the "online application site for Individual Number Cards".
※Should you wish to apply via smartphones and instant photo machines, please read the QR code on the application form using the scanner installed in the machines or your smartphone cameras.
Q22May an application for the Individual Number Card be made even by children?
An application for a person who is under 15 years old or an adult ward is required to be made by a legal representative. In addition, if there is any special reason, an agent accepted by the mayor will be able to make the application.
Q23Can I apply for everyone in my household using a single e-mail address?
You can submit multiple applications with a single e-mail address. However, please note that all notifications regarding the applications will be sent to the same e-mail address.
Q24When making an application for issuance of the Individual Number Card, is it necessary to attach an ID photograph?
It is required to attach an ID photograph when making an application for the Individual Number Card.
Please write your name and date of birth on the back of your ID photograph and paste it on the application in the specified area.
The ID photograph must be taken within the last six months and include front view without a hat with a plain background.
Please click here to see the example ID photograph.
※ Please refrain from using too much glue when pasting the photographs and ensure that they have sufficiently dried up before sending your application form.
Q25Is there a file size limit when uploading ID photos for online applications?
Please note the following requirements for ID photographs.
- ・Must be photographed within the last 6 months (no hat, bust up, no backdrop)
- ・Must be photographed in a well-lit environment (Black and white photographs allowed )
- ・File Type: jpeg
- ・Color Mode: RGB Color (other modes such as CMYK not accepted)
- ・File Size: 20KB – 7MB
- ・Pixel Size: 480 – 6000 pixel width, 480 – 6000 pixel height
Please note that images that have been edited using image editing software will not be accepted.
Please click here to see the details of the standard of ID photograph.
Q26What should I do if I cannot provide a photo, which fulfills the requirements, due to unavoidable reasons, for example, when the subject covers part of its head with material such as cloth for religious reasons or medical reasons as long as its face is clearly visible, the subject is an infant, a disabled person or bedridden, etc?
It is possible to use this photo by taking any of the following steps.
- ・Call the municipality in which you reside or go to the municipal office and give your Application form ID.
- ・Specify the reason why the photo could not be taken correctly in the Name field on the front side of the application form before sending it.
- ・Call the Individual Number Card Call Center to inform them of your application ID.
* The local municipal office may enquire about your circumstances when issuing your Individual Number Card.
Please note that your application may be considered to be insufficient if the photo does not fulfill the requirements (e.g. if it is too dark, cannot be trimmed, etc.) or for reasons not relevant to the photo.
Q27How should ID photos for infants be taken?
ID photos for infants should be taken in the following ways.
■ Have your child lie on a bed.
The bed sheet must be plain and without any pattern or design.
Your child must be facing the camera when you take the photo.
■ Have someone hold your child, but ensure that only your child will be visible in the photo.
You may wish to consider having the person holding your child cover his or herself with a plain white cloth.
Should you be unable to take photographs that fulfil the "photo requirements", arrangements will be made for you individually upon contacting us via the Individual Number Card call center prior to applying, and telling us your application form ID.
*Municipal offices may review your circumstances when issuing your My Number card. Please be aware that your application may be deemed incomplete due to the photograph not conforming to standards (too dark, cannot be trimmed, etc.) or for reasons other than the photograph.
Q28The Braille kana on my application is incorrect. What should I do?
The kana on the Individual Number Card application is only used with Braille. If you are not requesting Braille on your card, please apply as-is.
However, if you want your name written in Braille on your card, please contact your local municipal office to correct and re-issue your application form.
Q29What does "Information for Alternative Letters" on the application mean?
The information for alternative letters on the Individual Number Card is alternative kanji (Chinese characters) for those who have names using kanji that cannot be used for the Public Certification Service for Individuals.
Alternative letters will not be displayed on your actual Individual Number Card.
Q30Should I use the Gregorian or Japanese dating system when indicating the date on my application form?
Both the Gregorian and Japanese dating systems can be used.
Q31Will a fee be charged for an application for issuance of the Individual Number Card?
We will not charge any issuance free for the time being.
However, an issuance fee will, as a principle, be charged for reissuances resulting from causes such as loss of card.
Q32What documents will be necessary to receive the Individual Number Card?
The necessary documents to receive the Individual Number Card are as follows;
- – The notification card
- – The notice of issuance
- – Identity verification documents (*)
If you have a Basic Resident Registration Card;
- – The notification card
- – The notice of issuance
- – The Basic Resident Registration Card (to be returned to the municipality)
*Following documents may be used to verify your identity as set forth in the “Ordinance for Enforcement of the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure”
●“Ordinance for Enforcement of the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure”
(Documents, etc., proving that matters stated in the notification card pertain to the person who provides the Individual Number)
- Article 1 Documents specified by the provisions of ordinance of the competent ministry stated in Article 16 of the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure (hereinafter referred to as “the Act”) shall be any of the following documents;
- 1. A driver’s license, a certificate of driving history (only the one whose issuance date is on or after April 1, 2012), a passport, a physical disability certificate, a mental disability certificate, a rehabilitation certificate, a resident card or a special permanent resident certificate;
- 2. In addition to the documents set forth in the preceding item, documents issued or granted by public agencies or other similar documents that include the name and the date of birth or the address (hereinafter referred to as “Identification Matters”) described in the notification card as well as that are, through measures taken for such documents including display of a photograph or others, considered appropriate by a person in charge of affairs using the Individual Numbers as documents by which the person who presents such documents may be confirmed to be the same person as a specific individual identified by such Identification Matters;
- 3. In the event that it is considered to be difficult for the person to present any document set forth in the preceding two items, two or more of the following documents;
- a. Proof of insurance for national health insurance, health insurance, mariners’ insurance, or insurance for people aged 75 or older or for long-term care, a specially-insured day laborer certificate book for health insurance, a membership card for a National Public Servants Mutual Aid Association or Local Public Servants Mutual Aid Association, a membership card for a Private School Personnel Mutual Aid Program, a national pension handbook, a certificate of child-rearing allowance or a certificate of special child- rearing allowance;
- b. In addition to the documents set forth in a, documents issued or granted by public agencies or a person in charge of affairs using the Individual Numbers or a person in charge of affairs relating to the Individual Numbers (hereinafter referred to as a “Person in Charge of Affairs Using the Individual Numbers, etc.”) or other similar documents that are considered appropriate by a person in charge of affairs using the Individual Numbers (only the one which includes Identification Matters described in the notification card).
- 2 The documents which are stipulated by the ordinance of the competent ministry in Article 16 of the Act to be presented as the documents that the mayor of a municipality (including the ward mayor. The same shall apply hereinafter.), who issues Individual Number Card in accordance to Article 17, Paragraph 1 of the Act, shall be presented with the return of the notification card, shall be either of the listed below regardless of the provisions in the preceding paragraph.
- i. When any of the measures listed below or other measures deemed appropriate by the said mayor of a municipality is taken, any of the documents listed in Item 1 of the preceding paragraph, a landing permit for temporary refugee (hereinafter referred to as the “Landing Permit for Temporary Refugee”) stipulated by Article 18-2, Paragraph 3 of ,the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act (Cabinet Order No. 319 of 1951) or a permit for provisional stay (hereinafter referred to as the “Permit for Provisional Stay”) stipulated by Article 61-2-4, Paragraph 2 of the Act, which the said may of a municipality deems appropriate.
- a. To require the entry of personal identification number for the said document.
- b. To confirm the photographs recorded in the semiconductor integrated circuit (which refers to the semiconductor integrated circuit stipulated by Article 2, Paragraph 1 of the Act on the Circuit Layout of a Semiconductor Integrated Circuits (Act No. 43 of 1985)) that is incorporated in the said documents.
- c. To receive the reporting of items stated in the Resident Card of the person who wishes to receive Individual Number Card (hereinafter referred to as the “Applicant”) or those who belong to the same household as the Applicant, or other items which the said mayor of a municipality deems appropriate.
- ii. If it is deemed difficult to take the measures in the preceding item, two or more of the documents deemed appropriate by the said mayor of a municipality among any of the documents listed in the item 1 of the preceding paragraph, or the Landing Permit for Temporary Refuge or the Permit for Provisional Stay
- iii. If it is deemed difficult to be presented with the documents listed in the preceding item 2, the documents listed below.
- a. Document deemed appropriate by the said mayor of a municipality among any of the documents listed in the item 1 of the preceding paragraph, or the Landing Permit for Temporary Refuge or the Permit for Provisional Stay
- b. In addition to those listed in a., a document which has been issued or provided by government and public offices, or other similar document that is deemed appropriate by the said mayor of a municipality (only those which include the personal identification items stated in the notification card.)
- iv. If it is deemed difficult to be presented with the documents listed in each of the preceding items, the written response in Article 13 and any of the documents listed below.
- a. Documents listed in the preceding item a.
- b. If it is deemed difficult to be presented with the documents listed in a., two or more documents that are deemed appropriate by the said mayor of a municipality (only those which include the personal identification items stated in the notification card.) from documents which have been issued or provided by government and public offices, or other similar documents.
Only if you are not able to visit the place to receive your card due to your sickness, physical disability, or other unavoidable reasons, your representative can receive your card.
Please check here for the required documents should you wish to collect your Individual Number Card through a representative.
Q33What should I do If I misplace my notice of issuance, which would inform me of the details pertaining to the collection of my Individual Number Card?
As the issuance of Individual Number Cards are done by the respective municipalities, please contact the municipal office where you reside.
Q34If I cannot obtain the identification documents required for the collection of Individual Number Cards, what should I do?
As personal identification documents are absolutely necessary during issuance of Individual Number Cards, please confirm with your local municipal office what alternative forms of ID can be used if you do not possess the personal identification documents during issuance specified on the Individual Number Card website.
Q35Can children collect their Individual Number Cards by themselves?
While Individual Number Cards will, as a principle, be handed directly to the person in question, a legal guardian must accompany individuals below the age of 15 or those considered to be adult wards.
Q36Why do I have to return my notification card to get an Individual Number Card?
Both your Individual Number and official identification are required for applications and procedures relating to insurance, taxation, and disaster prevention. An Individual Number Card fulfills both of these requirements.
On the other hand, a notification card can only be used to provide your Individual Number. If you have an Individual Number Card, you do not need a notification card.
As a result, by law you must return your notification card upon receipt of your Individual Number Card, where it will be safely disposed of by the local municipal government.
Q37Will I be able to continue to use my Basic Resident Registration Card?
You can use your Basic Resident Registration Card if it is still valid. However, as Basic Resident Registration Card cannot be newly issued, re-issued or renewed, please use the Individual Number Cards to apply.Although Basic Resident Registration Cards will not be newly issued, reissued nor renewed, it will be available for the remainder of their period of validity.
In addition, by law, you are required to return your Basic Resident Registration Card upon receipt of your Individual Number Card. Note that you can request to keep your card as a memento following invalidation procedures at your local municipal office.
Q38Can I withdraw an application that has already been made?
Applications can be cancelled at local Individual Number Card counters. Please contact your nearest municipal office for details.
* It is possible to submit a new application after cancelling your original application by using the new application form for issuance issued by your local municipal office or by the Handwritten application form for issuance [English] or [Japanese].
Please note that an application cannot be returned after it has been received for processing.
Q39May I have an additional envelope for sending the application form(s)?
You can download the materials for making an envelope with a valid period until March 31, 2021 here.
To download the materials for an envelope, here
Q40Can I receive additional brochures?
The brochure can be downloaded from the link below.
Brochure (Notification of My Number (Individual Number) and Guide to the Application Individual Number Card Issuance)
Q41When can I pick up my Individual Number Card?
Individual Number Cards will be issued in 3-4 weeks following receipt of application, after which they will be sent via post to local municipal offices. (Excludes applications with errors.)
Following card issuance procedures at the respective municipal offices, an issuance notice (postcard) will be sent to your address. As the possible dates of receipt differ according to municipal offices, there may be significant delay between card shipment and the actual date of receipt.
Q42Am I required to set a PIN number even if I do not need an electronic certificate?
Even if you do not request an electronic certificate, you are required to set a PIN number for the Basic Resident Registration and Card Info Input Support applications.
Q43Can passwords with numbers only be used for the electronic certificate for the bearer’s signature?
For your password ,capital alphabets from A to Z, numbers from 0 to 9 can be used and and at least one of each are required.
※6 alphanumeric characters or more but not exceeding 16.
Q44Will my Individual Number Card password be made known to the staff at the municipal office?
As a rule, you must input your Individual Number Card PIN by yourself, so staff at the municipal office will not typically be informed of your PIN.
Please note that in the case of applications and procedures submitted by a representative other than a legal guardian (parent, adult guardian, etc.), municipal office staff must input the PIN on the individual’s behalf. However, all staff are bound by an oath of confidentiality. Furthermore, in the case that a staff knew your Individual Number, it would be impossible for him or her to use it without your Individual Number Card, so please rest assured that it will not be misused.
Q45How can I collect my Individual Number Card if I had applied for it but changed my address prior to collection?
If you relocate while your Individual Number Card application is being processed, you cannot receive a card on the current application. After relocation, please visit your new municipal office about re-applying for an Individual Number Card.
Q46My envelope, for sending the application form(s), is past the valid period for sending. May I have a new one?
The envelope (return envelope) for sending the application form(s) for an Individual Number Card which is sent together with the “Notification Card” and the “application form for issuance of the Individual Number Card”can be used as is without affixing a postal stamp until May 31, 2022 even if the valid period for sending says until October 4, 2017.
About loss and found
Q47What should I do if I lose my Notification Card or Individual Number Card?
<If You Lose Your Notification Card>
Report the loss of your notification card to the police, and take down the number they issue you. Thereafter,report the loss to your local municipal office and apply for re-issuance.
<If You Lose Your Individual Number Card>
As you will need to suspend your Individual Number Card, you will have to contact our Individual Number Card Call Center.
Also, please report the loss to the police and take down the number they issue you. You will then have to report the loss to your local municipal office and apply for re-issuance.
Q48After suspending functions of my Individual Number Card, if the Card is found, should I just report it to my municipality again?
Termination of suspension is accepted at a service counter of municipalities. Please directly contact a service counter of your municipality and take the procedure.